Friday, January 31, 2014

Gauntlet: generally boring

Some games don't age well, unfortunately. Moreover, some games just don't suit certain settings in the first place, and age makes it ever more evident.  Playing Gauntlet last night, I felt that it should have stayed in the arcade, as the constant draining of health and difficulty in dispatching enemies feels odd when there's nobody waiting to have the next go on the machine.

In the end I just decided to clear an achievement for getting the highest score on the leaderboard.  This meant getting above 8000 on a single life.  By warping to level four, I found I could stand in a corridor and kill all the enemies spawning around a corner; after a while the walls changed to exits and I could kill even more in the level.  Not the most fun thing ever, though.


4 comments:

deKay said...

Seems my last two comments disappeared :(

Xexyz said...

I never had an email notification about them so they didn't get that far ...

deKay said...

Well, I basically said this:

I once played Gauntlet in two player, on the Spectrum (both on keys!) with my cousin for so long the tape ran out of levels to load. The game never actually finished - it just ran out. Fantastic game.

Still, if you find it repetitive, I strongly suggest you play the RPG mode of Gauntlet 4. It fixes that problem.

planneroftowns said...

Dugga-dugga-dun-dun...
Dugga-dugga-dun-dun...
!