Wednesday, August 22, 2007

RLLMUK's top 100: 30 - 21

30Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
29World of Warcraft (PC)
28The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)
27Metroid Prime (GameCube)
26The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64)
25Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
24Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast/Xbox)
23Halo 2 (Xbox)
22The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)
21Half-Life (PC)

Comments on the games I've played:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Game Boy Advance)

I enjoyed this, though not as much as Yoshi's Story on the N64.  I felt that the inclusion of Baby Mario was a little unneeded at times, only in place to let the player make a mistake without dying, but the levels were made harder to make up for this.  The game as a result felt a bit disjointed and overly frustrating at times.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)

Possibly my favourite Zelda game, but that might be because it's the first I completed.  It's a stunning-looking game, with a clever story and great characters.  I loved sailing across the world, exploring the sea, and just getting lost for hours on end on an outlying island.  People criticise many things about the game - the triforce fetching quest, the lack of voice acting, the fact that it's not gritty and realistic - but I think that it will be a timeless game for years to come.  I'm not sure if I'll ever replay it, but that's not a comment on it's quality; it's a comment on how final the finishing blow felt.

Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Stunning to look at, a good difficulty curve and amazing update of a series from 2D to 3D.  I never got that far through it, because it was set inside cramped caves and I felt horribly constrained.  Maybe I'll get back to it one day.

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

I've never played this beyond the first few levels.  Maybe one for Virtual Console in the future.

Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

I loved the first game, completing it over a good few months, taking in the entire experience with collections from the vending machines and a very happy cat.  I felt sad when I got on the boat, leaving my old life behind.  On starting the second game, I was horrified when my savings were stolen as I arrived in Hong Kong, and I never quite got the enthusiasm to continue playing beyond an hour or so.  My VMU still has the game save on it - and maybe I'll go back to it, if they announce that they'll be completing the story.

Halo 2 (Xbox)

The single player game was good, if a bit similar to the first game, and I enjoyed controlling a different character which meant a different style of play.  It's in multiplayer that this game really shines though, and it is probably one of my favourite online games ever - only Phantasy Star Online holds better memories for me.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

Actually, this might be the first Zelda I completed, but it's relatively far from a traditional Zelda template so might not count.  Zelda's not in it, for a start.  It's a masterpiece on how to design a game for a different platform; recognising that people play handheld games in a different way to console games, Nintendo designed a shorter adventure which did not feel limited by the hardware in any way.

Half-Life (PC)

I've never completed this.  I loved the way the story was delivered, and the clever way that the marines were introduced firstly as friends and then as enemies.  It wasn't wholly revolutionary - the building up of weapons, and the use of health and armour were well established in games already - and I got to a point where it was just a bit too difficult (I believe, from looking at a walkthrough, that it was in the chapter 'Questionable Ethics').  Of course, my save from then is lost in the mists of time.  Maybe one day I'll turn god mode on.

No comments: