Saturday, August 25, 2007

RLLMUK's top 100: 10 - 1

10Shadow of the Colossus (PlayStation 2)
9Ico (PlayStation 2)
8Super Mario Kart (SNES)
7The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
6Super Mario World (SNES)
5Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)
4The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
3Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
2Halo (Xbox)
1Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)

Comments on the games I've played:

Ico (PlayStation 2)

No, I've not played Shadow of the Colossus, despite owning it for ages.  What's more, I've never progressed very far in Ico.  I don't know why, I enjoyed the half hour or so that I did play, but I never went back.  That will have to be rectified.

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

It's just not as good as later games in the series.

Super Mario World (SNES)

Another game that I've played but never completed.  I bought it on the Wii Virtual Console earlier this year and played through quite a few stages, but I can't remember how far I got and why I stopped.  I'll resume some day, I'm sure - save states are very handy.

Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)

I played this lots, even though I came to it very late when I bought an N64 with Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye at a car boot fair.  The game is certainly more clunky than those that followed it, and even Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast shows it up to have aged.  But the story and variety in the levels is astounding, it's still fun to play, and while the graphics are a bit rough it moves at a fair old pace.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)

I completed this earlier this year, and cannot deny that it is an amazing game.  It suffers a bit from the early-3D-world syndrome, where low polygon counts make games age very quickly, but it's certainly aged better than most other games.  It also started off quite slowly, to the extent that it took me two years to play through it.  I'm glad I did though.

Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

I played this to the credits and beyond, although I didn't collect every star.  I collected some stars multiple times, just because they were so fun to get.  An absolute masterpiece in game design.

Halo (Xbox)

The really sad thing is that of the original Halo, the part I remember most is the Library - which is the poor bit.  I remember trudging through countless corridors killing the same enemies again and again.  Sure, the rest of the game has you killing the same enemies, but their reactions and positioning and personalities are new each time.  Not the flood.  The thing is, I remember loving the game as I played through it, and it's a shame that the Library has ruined the good memories I could have had.

No comments: