Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Phantasy Star: Nuala caves

Far surpassed the challenge, and I'm getting into this game quite a lot. After the initial difficult stage, where any monster had a fair chance of killing Alis, I've now got a party of three characters who are relatively powerful and can at least put up a decent fight. Plus Alis has learnt a heal spell which allows her to replenish the health of anyone on the team when needed.

It's been hinted that I need to see the governor, and it's been further hinted that he likes sweets. And finally someone in Scion's told me there's a cake shop in the caves of Nuala. I can now appreciate the history behind the cake mission in Phantasy Star Online!

So I set off to Nuala, meeting werebats along the way (they put up a bit of a fight, but they give loads of mesata when killed). I save just outside the cave, and enter. I light a flash, and can see the dungeons spreading out ahead of me. I use my newly-discovered dungeon key and go through the door. I'm attacked by five Goldlenses, and fight them off like a champ.

It's good fun, though I resort to drawing a map as I go since it's a bit sprawling. I get some odd looks from the people on the train, balancing a pad on my knee, playing a game. Only because they're bored. They ought to buy a Game Boy Micro.

I finall make my way down four floors, and find the cake merchant. He sells me some shortbread for 1000 mesatas - rather expensive confectionary! - and then I realise that I'm going to have to go through the caves to get out again, since there's no teleporting here. I'm a bit low on health, so I drink loads of cola and set off.

After a long slog out I emerge into the sunlight. Excellent. Save ... and the game crashes. Without saving.

I'm going to have to do it all over again.

Bollocks.

At least I've got my map.

No comments: